News Round Up In-Brief
- Despite controversy, the humanitarian group, “No More Deaths,” continues to leave gallon jugs of water in the desert for migrants crossing into the United States from Mexico.
- In recent speech about the housing market and economy, President Obama again asserted his support for new immigration legislation.
- Immunization clinics in Queens and the Bronx are scheduled to close later this month. The closures will harm low-income people and immigrants, according to union representing public health nurses.
- In Chicago, protesters gathered at a hospital to object to undocumented immigrants’ lack of access to organ transplants.
- The National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health is rallying around the country for immigration reform.
- In some major metropolitan areas, employers are helping immigrants obtain U.S. citizenship.
- Immigration reform opponents argue that implementation delays in the health care reform law indicate that the Obama administration will not implement measures in any immigration law Congress passes. The measures of concern include tighter border security and workplace hiring enforcement.
- Smugglers abandoned 84 men and women from Haiti on a desert island near Puerto Rico.
- African migrants are suing a Tel Aviv hospital for discrimination, alleging they were segregated from other patients and received unequal treatment based on the color of their skin.
- The European Union and the International Labor Organization have launched a project to manage the flow of health care workers in the Philippines, Vietnam, and India.
- A South African man living in New Zealand faces deportation because of his obesity.
- The Canadian Medical Association will soon release guidelines for immigrant and refugee health.
- A study from the International Office for Migration in South Africa released a study describing health vulnerabilities of migrants in Southern Africa.
- In the United Kingdom, a “Go Home or Face Arrest” campaign targeting unauthorized immigrants has sparked concerns about inciting racism and intolerance towards immigrants.
Categories: News Round Up In-Brief