News Round Up In-Brief
- A boat from Libya carrying more than 200 migrants, most of them sub-Saharan Africans, capsized on Wednesday off the Italian island of Lampedusa and more than 150 are still missing.
- A hastily built refugee center in Italy is an example of the logistical challenges that Europe faces as thousands of immigrants flee the unrest in North Africa.
- Officials in California shut down a “maternity tourism” house where, they say, Chinese women paid tens of thousands of dollars to stay and deliver.
- Arizona’s Republican-controlled Senate rejected five anti-immigration bills in one day.
- Three months after the defeat of the federal Dream Act, a New York senator has introduced his own version of the legislation at the state level.
- A planned disaster drill aimed at testing the readiness of emergency services in southwestern Iowa to deal with a school shooting has been canceled, after threats phoned into schools and days of criticism by anti-immigrant groups.